Monday, May 21, 2012

Respect for Performers' Personal Lives

Hey, all!

This is going to be a somewhat more serious post, inspired by something a friend of mine posted on Tumblr a few days ago. It seems that among certain Phantom Phans, there are a few who are more focused than they should be on how "sexy" or "attractive" the actors are, or who project the allure of the characters onto the actors who play them. My friend's post was mainly directed at a few fans of Ramin Karimloo who don't seem to understand or care about the fact that he's married and has children; they continue to post on publicly accessible forums or YouTube videos about how sexy he is and how much they want him. Apparently, some have even made nasty comments to his wife.

Certainly, POTO isn't the only fandom where this sort of thing happens -- not by a longshot. And don't get me wrong; I understand how it is to have a crush on a celebrity, and I've been there numerous times myself. But to go on and on about how you want to spend your life with a celebrity who's already in a relationship, especially when you go so far as to insult or threaten that celebrity's significant other, crosses a line. Like I said, I've had crushes on celebrities before, including some who were involved with POTO, but I'd never take it to that extreme. It's fun to imagine dating or marrying someone famous, but when all's said and done, I think it's much more satisfying to pursue a real relationship, preferably with someone you can meet and talk to without having to call their agent or get backstage at a show first.

A trend I've also encountered is "shipping" of actors with each other. "Shipping" generally takes the form of fans speculating that two fictional characters should date/marry each other, but apparently, that can also cross into real life. Some POTO Phans continue to insist, for example, that Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess should date, even though Ramin is (as I mentioned before) happily married, and Sierra is engaged to fellow stage actor Tam Mutu. And I remember that in the wake of the 2004 movie version of POTO, lots of Phans were saying Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum should date, even though there's a pretty huge age difference between them. Responding to those fans' notions, Emmy said that she considers Gerard to be more of an "older brother" figure, and not someone she'd consider dating.

A related (and rather troubling) thing I've noticed is when people start baseless rumors about celebrities. I once saw a thread on a POTO site that will go unnamed, where a few people were speculating that Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman were having an illicit relationship while rehearsing and performing in POTO. When someone else stepped in and asked them to either offer some actual proof or stop that kind of chatter, those members said they were only kidding around.

No. Not okay. It's bad enough when there's gossip among high school students about who's sleeping with whom, but when that crosses over into people making up rumors -- on a public forum, mind you -- about celebrities having affairs, it can cause some very real trouble. It can cause some headaches for the actors who those "fans" claim to adore, what with the potential for awkward questions from the press or higher-ups taking those rumors seriously and not hiring them. It can also severely damage the online reputations of people who go around creating those rumors; remember, once you post something online, it may never truly vanish even if you delete it, and might affect your career or personal life in the future.

Well, that's my rant for today, although sometime later on, I may get more into the apparent preoccupation with "sexy" that some people (and not just Phans) seem to have when it comes to POTO.


I remain your obedient servant,
I.A.E.

5 comments:

  1. Amen. It's amazing that they claim to like these people, yet still behave the way they do. They completely ignore the fact that these actors are people, with a full range of emotions and personalities, choosing to simply marginalize and degrade them because they find them sexually attractive. Marginalizing people like that is more typical for sexism, racism, etc. It's not a compliment for anyone to behave like that, it's extremely insulting. It's fine to find people attractive, but people are so much more than their body. Lusting over a body, completely ignoring the person who inhabits said body, is insulting to the person in question.

    I guess it's a compliment to the actors' talent if people are too stupid to remember that they're not actually the characters they're performing. It's still unfortunate.

    I do enjoy pointing out to the people like that, that are nasty to significant others and are nitwits as they fight over the celeb... even if they won, and the person was single, there's no way in hell the celebrity would ever have sex with them. It's fine to have fantasies, but potentially hurting somebody's personal life and crossing the line with lies and manipulative behavior crosses the line.

    It is also somewhat ironic that people are behaving this way over Phantom of the Opera... an entire story about somebody who was treated like shit his entire life, due to appearance. You'd think anyone who can rub two brain cells together would pick up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I create a sexy phantom on my blog every month, but I do it as more of a joke then anything. I'm also happily engaged, so personally I wouldn't seriously want or lust after anyone who I deem as a sexy phantom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hell. I see grammatical errors. *sigh* I need to read before I hit "post". That and I need to have coffee before I surf the 'net.

    Yeesh, I just don't get it. There are celebs that I admittedly lust over. That's where it ends. They can inhabit the sordid portions of my brain, and maybe I joke about it. Why would I disrespect them or myself by behaving the way some of those fans do?

    I'm pretty certain those gals would be horrified if they were treated as nothing other than a sex object, for long periods of time. Well, at least I would hope they would be. ...then again, considering the level of logic some of them display, I'm not sure they're smart enough to understand why it's a problem.

    ReplyDelete